Guides and Forms
Islanders for the San Juan Islands National Monument has compiled the following Guides to help you comment on the Resource Management Plan.
Our Guides draw on information from local volunteers, members of the Monument Advisory Committee (MAC), past public input, conversations with BLM, personal experiences, and more. You may not agree with all of our recommendations, but please make your voice heard.
Next to each Guide, you'll find a electronically-editable comment form. These are identical to the BLM supplied comment forms, which you are free to use. We've adapted our copies to be easier to fill out and submit electronically.All comments must be received by BLM by January 3, 2019.
Step 1: Download the comment form(s) you want to fill out
Step 2: Read the Guide that matches that form
Step 3: Fill out the comment form
Step 4: Send it in to BLM at email@example.com (that's a long email address!)
Repeat as often as you want for any topics that deserve your voice
You should keep a copy of your comments for reference. Add your email to the cc or bcc line to receive a copy in your email of what you submitted to BLM. If you’d like Islanders for the San Juan Islands National Monument to archive a copy, which we could use in case there is any future uncertainty about what input BLM has received, cc or bcc comment@SanJuanIslandsNM.org. We will not share your contact information for other purposes.
If you are filling out the comment forms electronically, make sure you save them to your personal computer first and edit that copy. Some people have had trouble saving changes they made in their browsers. See more instructions at the bottom of this page.
The BLM Draft RMP/EIS and all its appendices contain a lot of information. Do not feel overwhelmed by all this.
To better understand the various sites in the monument, we suggest you check out the Planning Process Primer and Guidebook. It describes the sites and gives you a sample of comments BLM previously received about management of each site. Note that the quotes listed indicate the range of comments but do not indicate how many people supported each position. For even more information on a specific site, consider reviewing BLM's Site Catalog.
Monument-wide Comment Forms
Lopez Island Sites
Other larger Sites
Groups of smaller Islands and Rocks
Instructions for downloading and submitting comment forms:
- Click the form you need on this page.
- When viewing the form, use the Save or Download icon to store the PDF file to your personal computer. (Moving the mouse cursor over the edge of the form or a Mac's dock may encourage the icons to appear.)
- Save it to a location (e.g. your desktop) where you'll be able to find it later.
- Open the PDF file from where you saved it and fill out the form.
- Save your work! You can save the filled-out form as you go and return to it over several sessions.
- When you are finished filling out the form, print it out to give to BLM or attach the file to email you send to firstname.lastname@example.org (yes, that is one long email address).
- We encourage you to keep a copy of your comments for reference. If submitting via email, add your email to the cc or bcc line to receive a copy in your email of what you submitted to BLM. If you’d like Islanders for the San Juan Islands National Monument to archive a copy, which we could use in case there is any future uncertainty about what input BLM has received, cc or bcc us at comment@SanJuanIslandsNM.org. We will not share your contact information for other purposes.
If you have any problems downloading the forms, email info@SanJuanIslandsNM.org and we'll be happy to email you copies of any forms you request.
If you have problems saving the form you've filled out electronically, make sure you're using the latest Adobe Reader and/or print the blank form and fill it out the old-fashioned way with pen or pencil.